tax2u Constructor

How to claim back your CIS tax?

tax2u Constructor

Claiming back your CIS tax with Tax2u could not be any simpler.

If you are working in construction industry and your employer deducted CIS tax from you, you are eligible to claim the CIS tax rebate. If you are CIS worker/subcontractor you’ll be given CIS deduction certificate by your contractor/client, this shows the amount of tax you were deducted by your contractor/client and paid to HMRC.

As self-employed, you must have to submit tax return every year after 5th April, in addition to submitting your self-assessment you can claim the CIS tax depending up on the earnings and CIS tax deductions throughout the year. Understanding the total income, claiming eligible expenses and CIS tax deduction calculations is a bit complicated.

It is highly recommended that you work with a professional CIS tax bookkeeper to make sure your CIS return information is accurate and fully legally compliant. If you claim too few expenses, you will not get the full refund you are due; but if you overinflate your expenses (even accidentally), you could face prosecution and large penalties.

Tax2u will calculate this for you and get your tax return submitted with HMRC. We provide a dedicated accountant to each client and our accountants will be in contact with each client until our clients get CIS tax rebates from HMRC.

Like this post if you found it useful, click share so you can help your Facebook friends too
tax2u early bird

Early Bird

Limited Time Offer



£ 11 +vat pm

(One Time Payment)


Limited places, first come first

Products Left: 2000/500

Offer End on: 6th April 2024

tax2u countdown final offer

Final Offer

Limited Time Offer



£ 12 +vat pm

(One Time Payment)


Limited places, first come first service

Products Left: 2000/2000

Offer End on: 30 Apr 2021

CIS stands for Construction Industry Scheme, it’s a tax legislation put in place by HMRC to ensure all construction workers pay their tax. Read more

Some Your client or contractor has to deduct CIS tax from your pay each and every time they pay you. They then pay this tax deduction to HMRC who hold it on your account until your submit your tax return. Read more

Everyone in the UK gets a tax free allowance, this is the threshold before you have to pay any tax. However, as your client has already deducted your tax from earnings under the threshold you can claim it back. Read more

If you have earning over the minimum threshold (£12,570 for tax year 2023-24) then you can maximise your tax rebate by offsetting your income with business receipts. Read more

The main thing that you need is your CIS deduction certificates, payslips or your bank statements to prove income and tax deducted. Read more

You can claim back your CIS tax on the 6th April each year for the previous tax year. You then have until the 31st Jan (the tax return deadline) to submit your tax return. Read more

To claim back your tax you need to submit your self-assessment tax return. Read more

A CIS deduction certificate is the payslip that your client should give you each and every time you are paid. It will show the Gross, Nett and Tax deducted amounts that tax2u will need to reclaim your tax. Read more

It really couldn’t be simpler, log in or create your free account, upload your CIS deduction certificates / payslips and our accountants will do the rest. Read more