Yes. You can claim tax relief for the last 4 years.

If you worked in the UK in the last 4 years and have satisfactory evidence, then you are still eligible to make a claim.

No, applying for a tax refund does NOT affect any other benefits claimed eg: working tax credits, child tax credits, JSA, ESA etc

You need to maintain clear records with receipts for expenses you wish to claim for. You don’t have to submit these along claim form however; HMRC can very well ask you to produce evidence of your claim. For instance, if your claim is related to business mileage, you will have to keep records of the places and distances of all your work-related journeys.

Not necessarily. It is the taxpayer’s responsibility to make sure that all tax relief has been correctly claimed and included under your tax code.

It Takes approximately 8 to 12 weeks. Any requests for additional information from the HMRC Tax Office may increase your refund processing time.

Click here and follow the instructions to start claiming your standard expenses.

The extent of tax relief that you will receive completely depends on the rate of tax you pay. For instance, if you’re a basic rate taxpayer who claims tax relief on £1,000 on allowable expenses, you are liable to obtain £200 which is 20% of £1,000.

If you file for tax relief claim for the current tax year, HMRC will adjust your tax code like it normally does and subtract less tax so as to account for this. If you’re claiming tax for a previous year, you’re likely to receive a cheque or bank transfer for the total amount you’re owed.

You can claim a tax deduction for purchasing your own uniform/shoes, tools and equipment which are used exclusively to perform your job. Also, you can claim washing your work clothes.

This means an amount of money that a taxpayer can get towards tax relief . For example, the minimum deduction for the cost of washing your uniform is £60 per year. This means that if you pay tax at the standard rate band of 20%, then you are due a refund of £12 (£60 x 20%). A higher rate taxpayer would be due a refund of £24 (£60 x 40%).