Once we submit your application with HMRC it will take up to 4 weeks for HMRC to send you a letter with your UTR number.

If you are self employed and not working in the construction industry anything you earn over the personal allowance for the tax year is eligible for tax.

We can help you to complete your tax return and help you pay your tax bill in a timely manner.

The scheme covers all types of businesses and other concerns that work in the construction industry, including:

These businesses can be:

Under the scheme, the terms ‘contractor’ and ‘tax2u’ have special meanings that cover more than is generally referred to as ‘construction’.

Contractor – A contractor is a business or other concern that pays tax2us for construction work.

Contractors may be construction companies and building firms, but may also be government departments, local authorities and many other businesses that are normally known in the industry as ‘clients’.

Some businesses or other concerns are counted as contractors if their average annual expenditure on construction operations over a period of 3 years is £1 million or more.

Private householders aren’t counted as contractors so aren’t covered by the scheme.


A tax2u is a business that carries out construction work for a contractor.

Businesses that are contractors and tax2us

Many businesses pay other businesses for construction work, but are themselves paid by other businesses too. When they’re working as a contractor, they must follow the rules for contractors and when they’re working as a tax2u, they must follow the rules for tax2us.

If you are self-employed and NOT working in the Construction Industry (CIS) then you can work without a UTR, however when it comes to end of the tax year you will need a UTR in order to complete your self-assessment tax return after 5th April.

Please call HMRC directly on 0300 200 3210. You will need your national insurance number and contact details to obtain your UTR.

Your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) is a number that HMRC uses to identify you for everything to do with your taxes.

If you are or planning to be self-employed it is critical you have a UTR number so that you can complete a self-assessment tax return at the end of each tax year (tax years run from 6th April to 5th April the following year).

If you do not complete a self-assessment HMRC will apply fines to your account.