We’ve made it easy for you to apply for your UTR number online.

Your UTR number will be issued directly from HMRC

What is self-employment?

Why do I need to register as self-employed?

All UK individuals must declare their earnings to the HMRC every year and pay the right amount of tax, depending on how much they earn. If you are employed or PAYE, your employer will take care of your tax matters, but when you are self-employed, the only way is to register as self-employed, get your UTR number, and declare your income using your UTR number.

How to register as self-employed in the UK?

If you have started working as self-employed, you need to tell the HMRC about your job status by registering as self-employed with HMRC. When you register as self-employed, the HMRC will assign you a tax number called UTR (unique tax reference).

To apply for a UTR number and become self-employed, use tax2u’s simple 3 step form and tax2u will submit your application directly to HMRC within 24 hours. The HMRC will assign you a UTR number in 10 working days.

What Information is needed to register as self-employed?

To register as self-employed, you need the following information ready before you fill in tax2u’s simple online form

  • Your full name
  • Your phone number and email address
  • Your present resident address
  • Your date of birth
  • Your National Insurance
  • Date started working as self-employed
  • Type of work you are going to start as self-employed

Once you have all the above information you are ready to submit the self-employed registration form. We may also require verifying your identification to complete the application.

Types of identification documents required are:

  • Photo ID: UK Passport or Driving License
  • Address ID: Recent bank statement or recent utility bill (within the last 3 months)

Can I be both Self-employed and Employed?

Yes, you can be both employed and self-employed. While working as employed, you can register as self-employed, and you need to declare your income from both employment and self-employment through a self-assessment tax return.

How long does it take to become self-employed?

Once you complete your online self-employed application form, our team will submit your application to the HMRC within 24 hours and you will get your UTR number from the HMRC directly. Usually, it takes 6-8 weeks to receive your UTR number and register for self-employment, but if you register through tax2u online application form, we will submit your application within 24 hours and HMRC will register you as self-employed in 10 working days.

As a specialist HMRC agent* Tax2u can handle the management process and complete your UTR registration on your behalf, so you can register with the HMRC for self-employment. We also offer Yearly Accounting Support if you choose to have us help you with your Self-Assessment Tax Return.

Why choose Tax2u Ltd to help you register as self-employed?

Carrying out your self-employed registration through us rather than other companies is the simplest and most convenient way to become UTR registered and self-employed.

The self-employment registration and CIS (Construction Industry Scheme) application process can be completed in a couple of minutes online and will be submitted to HMRC within 24hrs. You can easily start your registration to become self-employed now, by completing your details above.

Once you have completed your self-employment online registration form and it has been submitted to HMRC, you will receive your UTR number /CIS in up to 6 weeks (or only 10 working days if you choose our FAST TRACK UTR Service).

If you would like to be able to speak to the HMRC and handle the management of your self-employment registration process, you will need to sign the client authorization form (64-8 form) that we will email to you once you have signed up.

All we ask is that you consider using our company’s professional accountancy team to support you through the year and to file your end-of-year tax returns. If you work in the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) we get back, on average, £2,514 per year for each of our clients, and offer experienced advice and support throughout the tax return process.

Once registered with us, we will send you a welcome pack and details of our helpline, text service and email so that you can ask any questions you have at any time.

We know that applications to register for self-employment can be confusing, but we simplify the entire process for you, giving you the reassurance that you will not overpay income tax throughout the year.

Tax2u Ltd is the UK's leading tax specialist that helps subcontractors from the initial CIS and self-employment registration through to managing your HMRC account and reclaiming your overpaid taxes.

* Tax2u Ltd is a privately owned, independent company. We are not HMRC, we are an authorized agent of HMRC, which means we can speak to them on your behalf; but we are not, nor do we give the impression that we are endorsed by HMRC. For further questions, contact our helpline.

Back to top