Your UTR number will be issued directly from HMRC

Who is a sole trader?

How do I register as a sole trader?

We have made the registration process as simple as possible for you. All you need to do is fill out the form above and it will be submitted to HMRC within 24 hours.

How do I apply for a UTR to become sole trader?

The fastest way to apply for a Unique Taxpayer Reference is by filling in the Tax2u online UTR registration form. We have made it as easy as possible for you to apply for your UTR number online. You will need your National Insurance number before you can apply for your UTR.

Why do I need a UTR to become sole trader?

If you want to start working as Sole trader you need to apply for a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) and required to submit self assessment to HMRC using your UTR number. You will also need your UTR to file a Tax Return if you earn more than £100,000 during a tax year.

How can I get my UK UTR online and become sole trader?

To get your UK UTR number online you have 2 options, register through HMRC’s online page and Register for Self-Assessment or sole trader, you will need a Government Gateway User ID and password to sign in. Or you can simply use this online UTR form provided by Tax2u. It is simple and fast to apply online for your UTR number with Tax2u.

How long does it take to register as a sole trader?

Once you have submitted sole trader registration through our online application form, HMRC will issue your UTR and send you a letter at home, containing your UTR number, it may take up to 6 weeks (or only 10 working days if you chose our FAST TRACK UTR Service)

As a specialist HMRC agent* we are able to handle the management process and register you as a sole trader on your behalf and become registered with HMRC. Once your UTR registration process is complete, you will be issued with a UTR (Unique Tax Reference number).

This service comes with no obligations or tie-in to any further services we offer. We do offer Yearly Accounting Support if you chose to have us help you with your Self Assessment Tax Return.

Why choose Tax2u Ltd to help you registering as a sole trader?

Carrying out your sole trader registration through us rather than other companies is the simplest and most convenient way to become sole trader.

The sole trader registration process can be completed in a couple of minutes online and will be submitted to HMRC within 24hrs. You can easily start your sole trader registration now by completing your details above.

Once you have completed your sole trader application form and it has been submitted to HMRC, you will receive your UTR number in up to 6 weeks (or only 10 working days if you chose our FAST TRACK UTR Service)

If you would like to be able to speak to HMRC and handle the management of your UTR number online application form, you will need to sign the client authorization form (64-8 form) that we will email to you once you have signed up.

All we ask is that you consider using our company’s professional accountancy team to support you through the year and to file your end-of-year Tax Returns. If you work in the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS); we get back, on average, £2,514 per year for each of our clients, and offer experienced advice and support throughout the tax returns process.

Once registered with us, we will send you a welcome pack and details of our helpline, text service and email so that you can ask any questions you have at any time.

We know that applications for sole trader can be confusing, but we simplify the entire process for you, giving you the confidence to know that you won’t overpay income tax throughout the year.

Tax2u Ltd is the UK's leading construction specialist that helps Subcontractors from initial CIS and UTR registration through to managing your HMRC account and reclaiming your overpaid taxes.

*Tax2u Ltd is a privately owned, independent company. We are not HMRC, we are an authorized agent of HMRC which means we can speak to them on your behalf; but we are not, nor do we give the impression that we are endorsed by HMRC. For further questions, contact our helpline.

Back to top