SS House, 67a Main Avenue, Enfield, EN1 1DS 0207 118 0097


Your UTR number will be issued directly from HMRC

Do you have an accountant ?

Enter your current home address

What is a UTR Number?

How do I register for UTR?

We have made the registration process as simple as possible for you. All you need to do is fill out the form above and it will be submitted to HMRC within 24 hours.

How to get a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)

To get a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) you need to register for Self-Assessment or as Self-Employed with HMRC. You can register and apply for a UTR online with Tax2u or you can fill in a paper UTR application form yourself and post it to HMRC.

How do I apply for a UTR?

The fastest way to apply for a Unique Taxpayer Reference is by filling in the Tax2u online UTR registration form. We have made it as easy as possible for you to apply for your UTR number online. You will need your National Insurance number before you can apply for your UTR.

Why do I need a UTR?

If you want to start working as Self-Employed you need to apply for a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). If you want to claim your tax back through a Self-Assessment Tax Return you need a UTR number. You will also need your UTR to file a Tax Return if you earn more than £100,000 during a tax year.

How can I get my UK UTR online?

To get your UK UTR number online you have 2 options, Register through HMRC’s online page and Register for Self-Assessment, you will need a Government Gateway User ID and password to sign in. Or you can simply use this online UTR form provided by Tax2u. It is simple and fast to apply online for your UTR number with Tax2u.

Can I check my Unique Taxpayer Reference online?

Yes, you may check your UTR online, either by accessing your Personal Tax account on the HMRC website, using your Government Gateway user ID and password to sign in. If you have used Tax2u to apply online for your UTR, you can simply register/login to your secure online dashboard and see your UTR number there. For any questions regarding your UTR online application please call Tax2u’s UTR Helpline on 0207 118 0097

What does a UTR look like?

The Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) is a 10-digit number that may look like this - 1234567890 Once HMRC issue a UTR to you, this UTR number will not change, and will remain your Unique Taxpayer Reference for life.

Can I get my UTR today?

To get your Unique Tax Reference you must have applied for it online a minimum of 10 working days ahead. You may submit your UTR application online today, and your UTR online application, once this is submitted to HMRC, it takes HMRC 10 working days (2 weeks) to send you a letter to your home address. The letter will contain your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number.

I have lost my Unique Taxpayer Reference

If you have lost your UTR, don’t worry. Tax2u can help you find it. Your UTR number can be found on any of your reminder letters from HMRC to Submit your Self-Assessment Tax Return, or on your last Tax Return documents. If are registered as one of our Yearly Accounting clients, you will be able to find your UTR number on your Online Secure Dashboard. You can always call HMRC 0300 200 3310 to ask for your UTR number.

How long does it take to get my UTR or CIS number?

Once you have registered for your UTR number through our online application form, HMRC will issue your UTR and send you a letter at home, containing your UTR number, it may take up to 6 weeks (or only 10 working days if you chose our FAST TRACK UTR Service) As a specialist HMRC agent* we are able to handle the management process and apply for your UTR registration on your behalf and become registered with HMRC for Self-Employment. Once your UTR registration process is complete, you will be issued with a UTR (Unique Tax Reference number) and when your UTR arrives it will be registered for CIS (The Construction Industry Scheme) if you have entered a CIS job title for your Self Employment job title field. When you UTR number, this service comes with no obligations or tie-in to any further services we offer. We do offer Yearly Accounting Support if you chose to have us help you with your Self Assessment Tax Return.

Why choose Tax2u Ltd to help you apply for a UTR number?

Carrying out your UTR registration through us rather than other companies is the simplest and most convenient way to become UTR registered and Self-Employed.

The UTR application and CIS application process can be completed in a couple of minutes online and will be submitted to HMRC within 24hrs. You can easily start your registration for a UTR number now by completing your details above.

Once you have completed your UTR number online application form and it has been submitted to HMRC, you will receive your UTR number / CIS registration in up to 6 weeks (or only 10 working days if you chose our FAST TRACK UTR Service)

If you would like to be able to speak to HMRC and handle the management of your UTR number online application form, you will need to sign the client authorization form (64-8 form) that we will email to you once you have signed up.

All we ask is that you consider using our company’s professional accountancy team to support you through the year and to file your end-of-year Tax Returns. If you work in the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS); we get back, on average, £2,514 per year for each of our clients, and offer experienced advice and support throughout the tax returns process.

Once registered with us, we will send you a welcome pack and details of our helpline, text service and email so that you can ask any questions you have at any time.

We know that applications for UTR numbers can be confusing, but we simplify the entire process for you, giving you the confidence to know that you won’t overpay income tax throughout the year.

Tax2u Ltd is the UK's leading construction specialist that helps Subcontractors from initial CIS and UTR registration through to managing your HMRC account and reclaiming your overpaid taxes.

*Tax2u Ltd is a privately owned, independent company. We are not HMRC, we are an authorized agent of HMRC which means we can speak to them on your behalf; but we are not, nor do we give the impression that we are endorsed by HMRC. For further questions, contact our helpline.